Finally, the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ Smartphones have now been made official by Samsung at the special launch event held in New York. After infinitely long leaks we can now finally confirm on what the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ have in store for us.
The main attraction of both these devices was it’s almost bezel-less display that seemed to take up almost the entire front panel of the devices. Well, Samsung calls it the Infinity Display and is curved on the sides of the device. The Samsung Galaxy S8 will feature a 5.8-inch display whereas the Galaxy S8+ will have a 6.2-inch display. Both the displays are of Quad HD+ resolution at 2960×1440 pixels and also feature Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection both on its front and back portions.
The capacitive navigation keys along with the physical home button of previous Samsung devices have been replaced with software keys in both these devices. The software home button offers a haptic feedback when pressed to give a physical click like feeling, similar to what Apple has done with the home button on their latest Apple devices. Also, along with the fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor, the latest Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ also features an iris scanner, previously seen on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.
As rumored earlier, Samsung’s Bixby Artificial Intelligence based Assistant is also present in these two devices. To make it stand out from the rest of the virtual assistants out there, the Bixby assistant is focussed on providing a more tailored experience to the user by regularly learning from the user habits and device usage scenarios.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ are also IP68 rated for dust and water resistance up to a 1.5meters for about 3 minutes. Color options of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are Maple Gold, Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Orchid Grey and Arctic Silver.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specifications
- 5.8inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED infinity display with 570PPI on Samsung Galaxy S8.
- 6.2inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED infinity display with 529PPI on Samsung Galaxy S8+.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
- Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor and Adreno 540 GPU or Exynos Series 9 8895 processor with Mali G71 MP20 GPU.
- 4GB RAM with 64GB inbuilt storage or 6GB RAM with 128GB inbuilt storage.
- MicroSD card slot for storage expansion.
- Android version 7.0 Nougat operating system.
- Hybrid Dual SIM.
- 12MP primary camera with LED flash, /1.7 aperture and OIS.
- 8MP secondary camera with f/1.7 aperture and 80-degree wide-angle lens.
- IP68 rated for water and dust resistance.
- 3000mAh battery on Samsung Galaxy S8.
- 3500mAh battery on Samsung Galaxy S8+.
- Both devices support fast charging via wired and wireless charging.
- Physical dimensions of the Samsung Galaxy S8 are 148.9×68.1×8.0mm.
- Physical dimensions of the Samsung Galaxy S8+ are 159.5×73.4×8.1mm.
- Sensors included are Iris Sensor, Fingerprint Sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyroscope, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Pressure Sensor, Proximity Sensor and RGB Light Sensor.
Both the devices will be available for preorders starting tomorrow and will be available on sale from 21 April 2017. The Samsung Galaxy S8 will cost $750 whereas the Galaxy S8+ carries a price tag of $850, which roughly translates to Rs. 48,660 and Rs. 55,140 respectively. Both these devices come with premium AKG earphones tuned by Harman, which itself costs $99 or approximately Rs. 6420.